Frederick Pilot Program Helps Vulnerable Homeowners Through Third-Party Notifications – Conduit Street

Frederick County Executive Jan Gardner launched a pilot program this week to keep the county’s most vulnerable homeowners from going on tax sales.

The Third Party Notification Program allows a homeowner age 65 or older or a person with a disability to designate a third party to receive copies of their property tax bills. The designated third party is not responsible for payment of taxes or outstanding payments but agrees to check with the owner to ensure that tax notices have been received and encourage prompt payment.

State law requires counties and the City of Baltimore to collect overdue property taxes and other unpaid charges, all of which are liens on real property. In addition, the law requires tax sales to occur no later than two years from the date the tax is overdue.

“The third-party notification program provides protection for homeowners,” County Executive Gardner said. “A family member or trusted adult can provide reminders so someone doesn’t forget to pay a bill. Acting now can bring peace of mind for years to come.

The MACo has backed legislation to divert homeowners from the private tax lien process to an alternative program to minimize the costs of collecting taxes, help pay overdue taxes, and allow homeowners to stay in their homes.

According to a Frederick County News Release:

Participation in the Third Party Notification Program is voluntary. There is no cost to register a designated person. The third party may reside in any state; they don’t have to live in Frederick County. Copies of tax bills and delinquency notices may be mailed or emailed to the third party.

Seniors can apply for the Third-Party Notification Program by visiting the county’s website at, or by calling the Frederick County Department of Treasury at 301-600-1111 to request an application. Completed applications can be submitted to the county by mail or email. For more information, visit or call the Office of the Treasury at 301-600-1111.

Visit the Frederick County website for more information.

Comments are closed.